Sunday, February 19, 2012

Business in BJJ: How to use sex in advertising...

To play off one of Julia's most recent posts, this is how...



While I may not applaud the juxtaposition of the sexy and the deadly (though I do actually like the ad), I'm not offended by it. Men could be placed in the piece and it would be different, but still mostly unchanged. The athletic prowess of both women is clearly displayed and the sexy parts aren't sexualized. I actually think someone made an effort to tone down the sex in the video...short skirts and decolletage are visually obscured and shadows are strategically placed. You actually see more skin in the fight scenes.

I was feeling brave, so I took a look at the video comments, and anything sexual stemmed mostly from individual viewer interpretation. One comment said he wanted to see them kiss, but guys do the same stare-down, so that credit goes all to the guy watching.

Admittedly, you probably won't see John Jones prancing around in a suit to a grinding rock track for an ad anytime soon, but this spot is a step in the right direction. Maybe one day they'll even get rid of ring girls. I can only hope. 

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I was pleasantly surprised by the ad, too! It was quite well done and much more tasteful than I thought it would be.

Of course, the youtube comments are the worst part but YouTube commenters are known to be bottom of the barrel. Not that the top comments didn't still disappoint me a little bit.

Megan said...

Yeah...as usual, YouTube further erodes my faith in humanity...but it was good to see that the comments came from general disrespect and not from anything encouraged by the ad itself.