Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Doing things I never thought I would...

Every time I take the changes training BJJ brings to your life for granted, I get a reminder...

I was at Panera Bread with a group from my church tonight. The one I frequent has one of the little, side meeting rooms that closes off from the restaurant with two doors. We were chatting and out of nowhere, heard a crowd cheering and a boxing bell sound twice. I joked that someone was watching TV, but noticed the entire restaurant was looking around. In particular though, was one man in a leather jacket with a motorcycle helmet who looked especially frazzled and profoundly irritated. He kept looking in the direction of the noise and eventually, as I knew he would, got up and walked toward it. He said some words, the volume dropped and he returned to his seat, seemingly even more agitated. As he sat, the volume increased. I looked back and saw his jaw clench and shoulders tighten. I cracked another joke about a fight about to happen...but something in me knew it was a real possibility. Training has somehow made me more sensitive to fine changes in aggression, especially in men.

I got up, left the room and came out to find a boy in his mid to late teens, happily smiling at a phone, volume blaring. I smiled and made eye contact. "Excuse me. Can you please turn that down? We're meeting in the other room." He looked at me, got up, and left the restaurant.

Maybe the two of them would have settled their differences peacefully, I don't know. All I know is, four years ago, I probably would have stayed in my room.