Monday, May 10, 2010

First time sparring with a girl...

I definitely picked the right name for this blog...My triangles still aren't tight enough. We were working on a drill in spider guard that transitioned to a triangle. At least I'm down to my main problem being turning my outside leg out more. I think I have my leg tight enough against the neck, and I'm remembering to crunch. Still forgetting to adjust the arm...but yeah...they're coming along. On a positive note, I heard a "Good job, Megan." come from off the mats while I was drilling. I think it was the kickboxing coach but I'm not entirely sure. Compliments, they go a long way for me in BJJ. Any other part of my life, I take neither compliments nor criticism to heart...but this? A simple pat on the back from the head instructor can motivate me for a month plus.
 
A guy I hadn't seen in a while came to class tonight. Last time I saw him he was a white belt and now he was sporting green. We did warm ups and drills together and were also partnered for the first round of sparring. Before the timer started, he looked at me and asked "Is this your first time rolling?" "Nope...been rolling for a few months." "Ok...well...this is my first time rolling with a girl." Based on some of the other guys' reactions, I'm guessing this isn't the first time I've been a male's introduction to rolling with women. But this IS the first time one has admitted it to me. I laughed and told him that if you step into a class, you honestly expect things to happen . I enjoyed rolling with him. I felt like I had to work, but he wasn't overly aggressive. I was definitely tired by the end, which is one thing I really like about rolling with guys. I know when I'm muscling my way through moves, because I  tire out. Not quite the same with women.
 
Ooo...pulled off the kimura sweep my instructor showed me last class too. Quality.
 
I'm getting decent at getting back to the guard from side control, but I want to start focusing on getting to my knees. I'm spending a lot of time on the bottom going from mount to half guard...side control to mount and back around again. I'm forgetting that getting to the knees is an option and my mind is always set on getting to the guard...doesn't seem to be working well with faster opponents. I'm also a bit wary of giving up my back, but I'll chance it.
 
I need to work on shooting my hips up faster.
 

 

6 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

You should have told him that you think it's sexist for him to have never rolled with a woman. And then say, "Haha, just kidding. But seriously." Totally throw him off his game. lol

I know EXACTLY what you mean about muscling your way through moves. I talked to my instructor about that a few classes ago. I know I've muscled too much if my arms start burning during a grapple and I gas out. And, to add insult to injury, my "muscle" is not very strong, so I still end up getting squashed even when I am using strength. The thing my instructor said to me that I am working on is to move myself, not the other person. Use my arms and knees to block, not push. Then, while I'm blocking hip out or in or get to my knees or return to my guard or whatever it is I need to do. Move myself, not them.

Easier said than done, right? ;)

Megan said...

Lol...I'll have to remember that for next time.

The muscle issue is going to be a rough one for me unless I spend more time with larger guys.

I'm gradually finding the balance between "controlling the other person" and "moving the other person". Again, easy with the big guys, because it's not an option.

NinjaEditor said...

I know what you mean about positive feedback. I think it was Mark Twain who said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment." Even a simple "Good job" leaves me feeling like an all-star. :-D

Megan said...

I was TOTALLY thinking about the quote from Twain when I wrote that:)

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rome Za said...

Make space between you and your opponent in side control, and then get your knee in to recompose your guard. =D and RELAX!