Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pick a side

I'm still staying on my back too much. I think what I'm missing is that point where someone's about to get the mount, where I should automatically go to my side so that I don't end up flat. I've gotten pretty good at responding when I see someone moving into side control, but a full mount still can catch me by surprise.
 
Class tonight was HARD. I've been under the weather and was only able to make it two rounds. I honestly thought I was done after the first, but sat one out and went again. I really accomplished very little save helping a blue belt try out a move he was working on. I usually have a planto work on one general habit and keep my eyes out for one move that I need to work on. All that was out the window tonight. I was just thinking about breathing. I did, however, get a chance to work with spider guard a little. We did two drills from the position and it's starting to feel less awkward.
 
My little girly wrists need some help. They were really failing me in a spider guard drill we did to work on changing positional control of the feet. I've always had crazy weak wrists though. I can barely open jars.
 
I...want to drill more. This is dance all over again...yet again, having a partner to work with while not training would be a huge benefit. Maybe one day I'll be able to drill a technique and apply it all reflexively, but right now, drills illustrate concepts for me. We did a sweep from spider guard and it helped cement the concept of controling one side of an opponent.

1 comment:

A.D. McClish said...

Hope you feel better soon! I've been there the last few weeks. It's frustrating not to be able to roll because you're just...not 100%.