Thursday, May 6, 2010

I love omoplatas...


...well...I will one day. I was told, yet again today, that my technique on them is very good, I just have to learn to set them up. I think this is the third time. Bridging that mental gap isn't easy. Somehow setting up triangles comes relatively naturally to me while rolling, but not these. So, like my instructor said, I'm going to have to start looking for opportunities where an arm is outside my thigh. I also got some good advice on dealing with posture I can't break. I have particular trouble with a wrestler in class that's quite a bit smaller than I am. If she sits back, my little repertoire has nothing to deal with the problem. So, next time...kimura sweep.
 
I'm back on my morning protein shakes after a couple weeks off. Almond milk, protein powder, a banana, flax oil and a shot of honey. I used to do the ground seeds and while I love the fiber, I don't like my shakes hairy. I've been trying different powders and right now Publix Greenwise and MLO are my favorites. All the rest seem to have sucralose in them, which turns my stomach to no end.
 
A serious shout out to Curls and their organic hair products. They specialize in products for, well, curly hair and a while back, expanded into the world of super curly Black hair. It has saved my life in BJJ. My hair has been through the gamut...almost waist long and wavy, shoulder length and bone straight, attempts at growing my natural texture out, drama with cutting and the wrong chemicals, not to mention big-bird blonde chunky highlights on my very black mane. So now I sport a very low maintenance texturizer. I wash my hair twice on the days I train, and anything else I've tried has either dried it out or left serious buildup. It works and all the products smell like tropical fruits. Double win:)
 
Oh yeah...good tips on escapes from half guard too. I have a hard time getting out of it with shorter bodies (probably because the angle between my hip and torso is more severe, harder to get good leverage and I've just been pulling). I'm going to have to focus harder on planting the foot of my escaping leg, keeping a wider base, rolling the upper body up and off the mat and not being so reluctant to bring my weight back onto my free leg.

2 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

Omaplatas are hard to learn to "see" in grapples. I usually only get them when I'm transitioning out of another submission, like an armbar gone wrong or something. Also, I love that kimura sweep!! It works well on big guys, which makes me happy. lol

Megan said...

yeah...I'm still at the stage where even if I do see something (and that's rare) I'm unsure of myself and hesitate. It's coming though!

Oh...I'm dying to try that sweep out...