Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BJJ Food Exchange!! ...and coming out of the (BJJ) closet.

Marketta, this was the best idea EVER. For some background, Marketta trains in Louisiana at Lake Area Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I don't know how it came up, but we're both foodies (it seems like a lot of jiujitsukas are) and decided to trade our regional specialties. I sent over key lime pie (it was supposed to be conch fritters, but apparently you can't mail conch fritter batter without buying $100K worth of lobster and stone crab) and in return I got a Zulu king cake...right on Mardi Gras!! What makes it Zulu? Well, that would be the chocolate fudge and coconut on top. It's also filled with cream cheese...crazy rich. Amazingly good. Here are some pics. Notice the beads and the baby Jesus...which they apparently no longer hide inside the cake because people were choking. 


It got a little bruised during shipping. Good ain'it always pretty!




An attempt at plating. Still difficult.
Beads and baby.

Ohoh...my volumetric exerciser...I'm up to 2500mL inspired volume...that's up to 78% from 42% in one month!! And yes, I've noticed a difference training. I can totally feel that I breathe more deeply and get tired less easily. Oddly though, I got lightheaded a lot last class and was sweating like CRAZY. We'll see if it continues.

I came out of the BJJ closet at Bible study tonight...everyone now knows I train. I can't say I was even keeping it hidden, it's just something I never shared. Some people were quiet about it, but my pastor, his wife and another lady were totally excited. I've learned a LOT of spiritual lessons from training and it was good to get to share a couple.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I can feel your joy by how you wrote it.

What a neat idea to trade food. Cool.

I had no idea you didn't tell everyone at church about BJJ. Sometimes when you're passionate about something unique, it can be tricky discussing it with others. Often times, silence or disagreement is their response. Fortunately some people were excited about it for you, and most importantly, you are excited about it.

Megan said...

Yeah...it's totally something that never came up in conversation. When I said it, I noticed everyone freeze and focus on me. I felt VERY vulnerable. It's like you said, you never know how people are going to react...well...you do...there will always be people who disapprove.

I'm very thankful for the people that don't and that asked thoughtful questions, especially about the changes it's made in my life.

Liam H Wandi said...

beautiful post megan. closets are dark and aweful places and...they don't really exist :)

Triin said...

Have to agree, lots of jiu jitsu ladies like to cook, bake and enjoy good food!

Georgette said...

I'll agree with that as well! I'm a HUGE foodie! And omg, making weight is such a challenge. I like to think I am an equal opportunity cook, but it turns out I really like baking more than making salads. Trying the Paleo diet till Mundials. Your king cake looks SINFUL :)

Anonymous said...

It is SINFUL Georgette but the baby Jesus on top makes it all good! =)

Megan said...

@Liam...thanks:)

@Triin...I noticed that about the guys too. I was sitting talking to a couple a few weeks ago and there were a couple chefs and a food and beverage guy.

@Georgette...Good luck on Paleo! I don't know why, but I haven't been able to find my diet "groove" yet. Not eating horribly, but not eating well either.

Georgette said...

I have to confess... when I was a hunter gatherer, I would have hunted cacao beans and gathered sugar cane, and I would have gathered me some chocolate. Just sayin'.

Megan said...

I'd pick up some nuts too...for texture and all.

Shark Girl said...

Wow! Look at yer fancy cocoa-sprinkled plating! This was some serious cake! I would definitely be the one to choke on the baby Jesus (even the unhidden one) because I would scarf that thing down immediately!

Megan said...

lol...thanks Shark!