Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy Food: Roasted Yellow Squash

So...making steps to get back on track with the eatings. I'm back on the eat-more-vegetables bandwagon.

I don't really like vegetables, and I'm a cheese freak--I used to spend upwards of $40 a month trying cheeses from all over the planet, but I've cut back some since I've started training, trading in my high-moisture (usually means higher fat) cheeses for harder ones--so a cheese is almost a must when I do a vegetable preparation. This time I did yellow squash with parmesan, thyme and olive oil. Simple, fast, great flavor.



Not my squash. Click here for the original I always remember to photograph food after it's been eaten.
Basically it's just summer squash, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, tossed lightly in olive oil, a few sprigs of fresh thyme, salt and pepper. You roast it for about 15-20 on 375, top with parmesan, continue in the oven until the cheese is melted (some time under the broiler is an option too) and woo! Fun vegetables. 

6 comments:

Deborah Clem said...

$40 a month on cheese. LOVE it.

I used to wait tables in a high-end white tablecloth restaurant. Every Saturday afternoon was devoted to training which included Scotch tasting, wine tasting, cognac tasting, various food tasting, and oh yes, cheese tasting. One weekend this lady came down from LA with I swear, at least 10 cheeses. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Megan said...

That sounds like heaven. I need to get to culinary school one day, if only for the great tasting opportunities.

slideyfoot said...

Cheese is the one food stuff I could not live without. So, my holiday to-do list was previously:

1. Somehow get to Florida
2. Train BJJ with cool people like Megan, Allie and Stephanie

That's now:

1. Somehow get to Florida
2. Eat lots of cheese with Megan
3. Train BJJ, then eat more cheese. :D

Anonymous said...

Looks so good! Cutting back on cheese? Say it ain't so. I understand why. But gosh it is so good. LOL.

Megan said...

Lol@Slidey...it's a deal! I think FL is a great blogger mid-point for all the people in the UK, Cali, TX, etc. I keep joking about a BJJ cruise out of a port here, but I honestly think it would be awesome.

Trudy...I know...it's never totally going away. It's one of the best things the food world ever produced.

Shark Girl said...

Cheese . . . sigh . . . I'm in love!