Sunday, December 12, 2010

BJJ has cost me my first love.

Well...I can't REALLY blame BJJ. I could just keep cooking and eating whatever I want. But it really has changed my relationship with food. I started reading The Flavor Bible a couple of days ago and the book is amazing. (Its mention of pairing banana with parsley has me wanting to go snatch some out of the garden and toss it in a morning protein shake). I'm not even through the first chapter and I feel like I've been introduced to the world of food and food preparation for the first time. I started lamenting every baguette with egg and chives turned protein shake. Every self-saucing chocolate pudding turned sorbet. 

One of the reasons I started BJJ was to be a healthier person all around, not just more active, but to be motivated to eat better too, so this had to happen. I needed to find balance in my foodie love. Doesn't make it any more fun. 

4 comments:

Josh Kruschke said...

Ah, more to read, more to read; thank you. There is lot of good blogs out there on eatting health. I can give you some links if you want?
Just realized this assumes that you haven't already found all the good ones.

Deborah Clem said...

LOL! I feel your pain! I am a COMMITTED food lover. Now my obsession with food is like a wanton mistress.

Megan said...

lol@Dagney. Your comment got me thinking of wontons:) It really is difficult, but I'm thinking that maybe, this book will be a good way to cook more and focus on healthier base ingredients.

@Joshkie...thanks for the offer. The sad part is that I know just what I should be doing, it's just a matter of what I'm choosing not to do.

A.D. McClish said...

I fail at eating healthy. I usually do well for a couple weeks. Then it goes downhill--WAY downhill--for a while until I feel like a hog and start eating right again.

I might check out this book and see if I can convince my taste buds to get with the program! ;)