Sunday, December 19, 2010

I'm officially pro-private lessons...

...not for everybody, but now that I've gotten a few under my belt, I've got a better look at what they have to offer.


  • They're good for big picture people. Group classes don't provide much time for in depth questions and people that see the sport from a high level (as opposed to building their way up through learning techniques) likely need time to talk it out.
  • They help make up for a lack of mat time. Don't get me wrong. They're not a replacement, but they do fill holes.
  • They're good for strategy. My last lesson I got to talk with my instructor about the kind of fighter I wanted to be and he shared what kind of fighter he envisioned my being. 
  • They get you more attention. A lot of people walk into gyms just to play around. I knew there was a high attrition rate, but I never took into account that some people come and either don't have goals or don't focus. Privates signal that you're serious.

...on a side note, I feel like I've written this post before, but I don't see it anywhere. Blog deja vu. I guess that's what happens after a year of posting. 

4 comments:

SkinnyD said...

So, do you have a "dream list" of people you'd like to take private lessons from someday?

Georgette said...

Well put.

Megan said...

@Skinny...I'm almost ashamed to admit, but not really. I know names, but haven't pegged down anyone I'd love to train with...that said...I'd like to spend some time with Gabi Garcia, since she's a fellow "big girl"

@Georgette...thanks!

The_Lazy_Man's_Guide_to_Grappling said...

You are absolutely right.

My instructor often pulls people to the side and works with them for 30 minutes or more on technique. I've had the opportunity to work with him twice like that and he upgraded my game.

We also have a very high number of Purple and Brown belts (I am a Blue Belt) and they often provide individual instruction. Those little pointers lead to huge jumps in my grappling ability and I wouldn't have been able to improve like that otherwise.